Wednesday, January 12, 2011

death of a nom de plume: Hectocotylus (2008 - 2011)


Luisa Casati painting
casati painting brooks
Luisa Casati by Romaine Brooks (1920)


* * *

For my new picture I was going to use the agonized face (far left, center) found in Agnolo Bronzino's Venus, Cupid, Folly, and Time (Allegory of Lust)...


Bronzino venus cupid time


I decided not to, but it's quite a painting, so I figured I'd share it anyway.

Then, after looking at the painting some more, I wondered if cupid's ass might be a more appropriate way to represent myself digitally. Yes, I thought, and just as I decided to mock myself with such a selection, my ego vetoed the idea. (How unfortunate!)

Finally, and for no particular reason, I settled on Bronzino's portrait of Giuliano de' Medici. I saw it for the first time a few moments ago after looking up Bronzino in Google image search, and it just felt right. (I don't know the first thing about Giuliano de' Medici; I selected it based solely on how it looks.) Now I'm starting to wonder if it has some resemblance to Louis Garrel...

And of course my new name is... my name.

Edit: Nevermind. I'm just going to change my profile picture whenever I feel like it!

1 comment:

Alan Fisk said...

Bronzino's Allegory is the subject of my historical novel Cupid and the Silent Goddess, which imagines how the painting might have been created in Florence in 1544-5.

See:
http://www.twentyfirstcenturypublishers.com/index.asp?PageID=496