Monday, September 07, 2009

back!

During the time when my computer was non-functioning, I was feeling refreshed and energetic. I was functioning. Reading and watching things online is obviously fine, but reading and watching things away from the computer is (more obviously) preferable, and, for me, this ratio had become unbalanced — too much computer, not enough stillness. Computer screens have an effect similar to television in many ways, even when the former is being used mostly as a portal in which to absorb news, articles, essays, music, films etc. And, just as much as television, computers can easily become our default object of choice for deferring boredom. (It's much easier to go exploring on the internet than it is to sit down and read a book, or watch a challenging film, both of which require more commitment.) Visual addiction. Yes, these things were touched on by the articles I quoted in my carving out space posts, but I guess I didn't think they applied as much when screen time is spent "wisely" -- reading articles and seeking out information etc -- instead of "unwisely" -- playing games, watching junk, looking at facebook etc. But they do. And I'm glad I've now realized this in a real, experiential way.

Unrelated to computer usage, there were many questions I had been asking myself recently concerning my blogs. Instead of boring you with the Q&A, I'll just say that I've decided to keep maintaining them.

No comments: