Thursday, November 06, 2008

a change is gonna come?

"Fortune has said that it believes Lawrence "Larry" Summers to be President-Elect Obama's top choice for Secretary of Treasury, citing various reasons."

The same Larry Summers who used to be President of Harvard, the school from which Obama graduated magna cum laude?

YES...

The Same Larry Summers who served as Chief Economist for the World Bank (1991-1993)?

WE...

The same Larry Summers who said that industrial pollution ought to be exported to third world countries because they are under-polluted? "I think the economic logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in the lowest wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that... The concern over an agent that causes a one in a million change in the odds of prostrate cancer is obviously going to be much higher in a country where people survive to get prostrate cancer than in a country where under 5 mortality is 200 per thousand." memo

CAN!

And to think, Mr. Obama, I was just about to write a blog about the speech you gave Tuesday night and how it made me feel like you were actually going to change things. You made me feel like all of my cynicism was unjustified, unhealthy, and part of the reason why nothing ever gets accomplished. You made me feel like politics could perhaps be a noble profession, even a true public service. Oh well. It was a nice 2 days. Time to resume dreaming (about blowing shit up).



4 comments:

Waldmensch said...

You know as well as I do (perhaps much more) that 99% of ELECTED politicians can give a shit about public service. The ones who care are few and far between.

Oh, and don't forget to mention how our buddy Larry condones child sweat shops in Asia,

"There are children who are working in textile businesses in Asia who would be prostitutes on the streets if they did not have those jobs."

Hectocotylus said...

Yes, but I was hoping for the 1%.

For the past 2 years I've figured that most of the Obama supporters were political neophytes unaware of the near impossibility of real change through the traditional channels. It wasn't until seeing the speech he gave Tuesday night and watching it at that historical moment that I finally understood how they all felt. My cynicism was shattered and I had more confidence than ever that so many of the things he said while campaigning were just the things he had to say and not the things he truly believed. The weight of that Hollywood moment clouded my vision. I do not regret my willingness to believe -- it is essential for change -- but now that the Republicans have been defeated and we have elected our first African American President, the party is over. The clouds are slowly parting and behind the mist we can start to make out a very familiar pile of shit. Blue, red, black or white, what matters the color?

I suppose it's still too early to know anything for sure, but the evidence so far is very worrisome.

Sean said...

Worrisome, yes, but not yet the end of all of our hopes.

My step-mother has been reading every bit of Obama-related news that Yahoo! can serve up, and punctuates each with "that worries me." THAT worries me and I can only imagine that there are millions of Americans doing the same thing even as we speak.

I will personally wait for January to begin making value judgments - there will be time, there will be time.

devon said...

Summers is indeed a strange pick. Even center-left folks are concerned. According to the Washington Note, (which, by the way, is usually a good read if you're interested at all about some of the "behind the scenes" political stuff) there's a rumor that "Summers recently had dinner with Gloria Steinem as part of an image repair stategy". lol http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/2008/11/post_30/